If you are shopping around for your junior golfer, I know that we can find the absolute best set for them from this article. I have been teaching golf to kids aged 14 and below for many years now as an assistant golf instructor. I’ve seen a lot of things. Talked to a lot of parents. They don’t know what to buy, and I can see why. I like to rhyme, what a good time. I’m done now, I can’t believe I just did that wow.
Alright, let’s get down to business. You want to buy the best golf clubs you can for your junior golfer. You might be on a budget though, which could restrict you from the higher end options. If that’s the case, I’ll lay out both the best value and the best “cheap” golf club sets you can and should buy for juniors.
Here are some things you should think about before you just buy the first set of golf clubs that has the word “Junior” on it:
- Brand: There are low, mid, and high tier brands of junior golf clubs, just like every other item ever. I would stick to the following brands when buying clubs for juniors: Wilson, Callaway, and U.S. Kids. Avoid the cheap sets made by lesser known or unknown brands. These clubs are super cheap and will most likely break very quickly.
- Price: You might have a specific number is mind that you want to spend. Throw that number out the window. These are your kids we are talking about! Just kidding. Definitely keep that number is mind. I’m all about saving money and buying the best value/best budget options for golf clubs, too. Pricier club sets are going to include both more and higher quality clubs than lower end sets. Considering that your junior is likely a brand new golfer, they won’t notice a big difference honestly.
- Design: Hate to say it, but…. no matter how good the clubs are, your kids probably won’t like them if they don’t look cool. I was a kid not long ago. I remember what it was like. Your junior golfer is most likely going to play with other junior golfers. Your kid wants a cool looking set to show off. They don’t want to be embarrassed about their clubs.
- Height/Length: Depending on your junior golfer’s height, they should get a certain length club set. I’m going to be talking about this a lot in this article. Your child is probably growing very quickly. If you want the clubs to last the longest (if you want to get the most for your money), get a set that is one size larger than your child is now. Otherwise, they will likely grow out of the set pretty quickly. It’s better for kids to be using longer clubs as opposed to shorter clubs anyway, as it increased their strength and hand/eye coordination. You can get your kid’s correct sized clubs now if you want, just know that you will have to buy a new set again if he/she continues with golf.
Ugh, I get tired of writing so much of an introduction for each article. Do ya’ll even read this? I hope so!
Let’s start talking about the best club sets that you can buy your junior, shall we? I’ll start with boys first and talk about girl’s golf clubs second. Why? Because our golf academy is roughly 45 boys and 5 girls. I’m playing a game of numbers here.
GOLF CLUBS FOR BOYS
Cheap Golf Clubs for Juniors: Wilson Profile Complete Set
Wilson is the best brand for complete golf club sets that are priced way under market value. These clubs should for sure be selling for way more than they currently are. Is the quality of this set as good as the Callaway and U.S. Kids sets below? No. But is a kid going to notice at all? Considering he is likely a brand new golfer, no chance.
If you want to spend the least amount of money, this Wilson Profile Complete Set the set for you. If you go any cheaper than this, you are likely to end up with a terrible quality set that breaks very quickly and easily.
Here are a few characteristics of this set:
- Design: Top notch. Nearly ever kid will love the color scheme and the look of the clubs. They will definitely be proud to show their friends this set. I have seen a few at the golf academy that I work at.
- Clubs: Driver, hybrid, long iron, short iron, wedge, putter
- Height/Length: Have 3 different sets (Ages 5-8, 8-11, 11-14)
- Price: Should be priced way higher in my opinion
- Extras: 2 headcovers
- What Stands Out? Includes a wedge, which is rare for cheap junior sets. Very professional appearance.
Best Value Golf Club Set for Junior Boys: U.S. Kids Boys Golf
U.S. Kids has a huge following among junior golfers. Many top juniors in the nation use their clubs, as they are a great value brand. They are made very similarly to premium adult clubs, just in a smaller form.
The US Kid golf clubs and bags come in many different sizes. Like I mentioned before, I would suggest getting a size one too bag for your junior golfer. That will ensure that he can grow into the set and use it for a longer period of time. I know, I am just an assistant golf instructor, what do I know? But my head pro says the exact same thing. I have heard him advise parents all the time to do this.
- Design: Very professional, simple design. Color depends on which set/height you decide on.
- Clubs: Depends on which set you get. Typically a driver, hybrid, a few irons, and a putter. Some include a three wood and wedge.
- Height/Length: Lots of different height options. If your boy is 58″ tall, get him one size up, the 60″ set.
- Price: Average. For the quality of clubs, this is by far the best value.
- Extras: Range from 1-3 head covers depending on which set you get
- What Stands Out? The overall quality of the clubs
#1 Complete Set for Junior: Callaway Boys XJ
If you want to buy your junior the “coolest” set of clubs, these are the ones. I can’t tell you how popular these clubs are at the golf academy that I work for. Juniors rave about how cool this set is, and I can actually see why.
These Callaway XJ Junior Golf clubs are made incredibly well, as Callaway is a very popular brand among golfers of all ages.
These clubs are the easiest to hit out of all of the others. Overall, this is just the best set that you can get your kid if you want them to really enjoy the game of golf.
- Design: Super cool color design/scheme
- Clubs: Driver, fairway wood, hybrid, 2 irons, sand wedge, putter
- Height/Length: Two different options based on age (5-8 years and 9-12 years).
- Price: A tad on the high side. Worth it if your junior golfer loves the game.
- Extras: Double strap (backpack), water bottle holder, rain cover
- What Stands Out? Includes a two-ball mallet putter, which is rare in kids sets. The most forgiving, easy-to-hit set. Left handed set is available.
GOLF CLUBS FOR GIRLS
Lowest Priced Girls Golf Clubs: Wilson 2017 Profile
Like the boy’s section, Wilson produces the best cheap complete sets for girls. They used to be a huge brand in golf, but they have since reduced their advertising and sponsorships. That’s great for us consumers, as the prices of their clubs have dropped significantly as a result. This Wilson Profile Girls Set is by far the cheapest option I would consider buying if I were you.
The only downside that I can think of for this set is that the white bag might get dirty pretty easily. Other than that, it is the best set that you can buy your junior golfer without spending a good bit of money.
- Design: Very bright color scheme
- Clubs: Driver, hybrid, long iron, short iron, wedge, putter
- Height/Length: Perfect for any girl 4’8″ to 5’5″
- Price: Lowest end of the market without getting into off brand sets that will break
- Extras: 2 headcovers
- What Stands Out? Super low price for decent quality
Best Value Full Set for Juniors: U.S. Kids Girls
U.S. Kids is up there with the highest quality juniors clubs of all time, along with Callaway. Considering the price of most sets, you can’t get a much better bargain.
These US Kids Girls Golf sets will have everything they will need to get started learning this great game. There are lots of different sized sets, depending on the height of your golfer. I feel like a broken record, but try to get a size that will allow them to use the set for many years to come. Then, you can hand the set down to a new golfer!
- Design: Many different colors. The girls at my academy LOVE the hot pink though.
- Clubs: Depends on which set you get. Typically driver, hybrid, a couple irons, and a putter.
- Height/Length: Varies depending on your junior’s height.
- Price: Extremely fair, considering the quality of the clubs and bag
- Extras: 1-2 Headcovers
- What Stands Out? How popular these clubs are at my academy
#1 Girls Golf Club Set: Callaway Girls XJ Set
The girls’ clubs and the boys’ clubs are lining up surprisingly. That doesn’t happen with adult clubs, that’s for sure. If you want to buy your daughter the best golf clubs on the market, this Callaway XJ Girls set is the one you want to get.
There are two sets of clubs: one for 5-8 year olds and one for 9-12 year olds. These obviously use averages, so if your daughter is a little shorter for a 9 year old, go with the shorter set instead. And if your junior golfer is on the tall side for a 6 year old, get the taller set so that they can use them for a long time.
These clubs will perform the best out of all other complete girls’ club sets. They are super easy to hit, great for both a newer and experienced junior golfer!
- Design: Very popular color scheme for girls (purple with flowers)
- Clubs: Driver, three wood, hybrid, long iron, short iron, wedge, putter
- Height/Length: 2 Sets, depending on age (read paragraph above)
- Price: On the higher end of the market, for good reason
- Extras: 3 head covers, water bottle holder, double strap system, rain cover
- What Stands Out? How much girls at my academy love the design of this set
Have any questions about which set is best for your junior golfer? I’d love to help! Just ask any question you might have in the comment section below.