Complete golf club sets are not for everyone. Let’s be honest here.
If you are one of the following golfers, you don’t need to buy a cheap complete set of golf clubs.
- If you are someone who expects to play a lot of golf for a very long time, you don’t need a to buy a discount complete set of golf clubs. Because you expect to play so long, you need to buy a good durable set of clubs. It will cost you a little more, but you will be able to play with them for way longer than cheap complete sets. Completes sets are often very cheaply made and won’t last more than a couple of years before clubs will start or break. Club heads fall off very easily and quickly, and there is no reason to get them repaired, because it will cost nearly just as much as the complete set did. When this happens, you’ll have to eventually buy a better set of clubs, so you might as well do that now instead of later.
- If you are or expect to be an intermediate golfer, or even better than that, you don’t need to buy a complete set of clubs. Complete golf sets are not made the same as name brand golf clubs like TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Srixon, Cleveland, etc. They are made with cheaper material, and will not result in as great of feel or consistency compared to the more expensive brands. So if you expect to become an intermediate golfer in the next few years, you might as well buy a slightly more expensive set.
- If you have a large golf budget, it just makes sense to go ahead and buy better quality clubs. They will last longer, they keep their value much better, and you will enjoy playing with them more than a cheaper set. If money is tight, however, then that is a great reason to buy a complete set, rather than individually buying a driver, 3 wood, irons, wedges, a putter, and golf bag, which can add up easily.
Alright, so now let’s talk about someone who SHOULD buy a complete set of clubs without spending too much money upfront:
- If you don’t expect to play golf too seriously, and just want a set of clubs to get you through some rounds with friends, then a complete set if perfect for you.
- If you are on a very tight budget, having not much more than $20o to spend on clubs, then you came to the right article.
- If you don’t expect to play many rounds in your life, there is no use in getting an expensive set of clubs, so a full set is what you should get.
Keeping with the bulleted lists, let’s talk about the BEST WAYS for you to save money when it comes to buying complete sets. This is for people that don’t even want to shell out $200 for a complete set.
- Buy a used complete set. Check craigslist, Facebook marketplace, and other selling platforms that you can think of to search for used sets. They are sold all the time, as people buy them and then lose interest. Make sure you research whatever set you are considering buying, so that you know what clubs it should include and who it is for.
- Be patient. It might take a while of looking to truly find a great value complete set. Don’t settle on the first decent deal that you find.
- Consider online and in stores. Sometimes, stores will be cheaper, as they don’t have to factor in the shipping costs or platform fees and pass them on to you. However, they have to cover their leases and employees, so their prices are often times more expensive than online stores like Amazon and eBay. You never know, though.
For those of you that have determined you are perfect for a full set of clubs, then let’s get into the best ones that will fit your budget.
My best recommendation? Don’t go too cheap. Go for VALUE, not just the lowest priced sets. If you want to go for value, then check out some of my other articles, like the best full set of golf clubs for newbies or the best golf club sets for beginners under $200.
I’ll split this article up into multiple different sections so that you can determine which set is perfect for you personally.
The Cheapest Golf Set That I Would Recommend: Wilson Golf Men’s 2017 Ultra
Wilson is a godsend for those that don’t want to spend too much money on golf. It’s been the brand of choice for a large majority of golfers that think even the Callaway Strata brand is too much money for them. Strata is the most popular brand for complete sets, but they cost a little more then Wilson.
Wilson has been making clubs for a very long time, as it was one of the most popular golf brand many decades ago. However, they have since lowered their focus on golf and marketing, so now their clubs don’t have to be so overpriced compared to other brands like TaylorMade and Callaway.
This complete set has everything you need to start playing golf. If you can’t wait for it to ship, consider going to your local sporting goods store and seeing if you can find a cheaper set.
However, I bet you can’t, as this set is about as cheap as it gets without buying absolutely terrible quality clubs.
The Overall Best Cheap Full Set: Callaway Men’s Strata
Callaway Strata complete sets are always going to be hard to beat.
Compared to Wilson, their sets perform better in just about every way. They are about $40 more expensive than Wilson, but I think it is worth it.
Their clubs are about as close as you can get if you want high quality clubs without having to buy them all separately.
The clubs are designed to be as easy to hit as possible, as Strata knows exactly who is buying these clubs.
The driver is going to have an oversized head, which will make it easier to hit on the club face. The sweet spot will be larger as well, so even mishits will end up OK.
The irons are very think and forgiving, so they are a great way to learn to become a decent iron player.
I’m not a huge fan of their putter, but putters really don’t matter all that much anyway. As long as you are comfortable with the design, it will do just fine.
One problem is that it doesn’t actually include a sand wedge, so you’ll have to buy one separately if you want one. However, the pitching wedge will work just fine if you don’t want to buy a sand wedge. However, it might be a good idea to get one to learn how to correctly hit bunker shots if you have the money for one.
If I were to buy a complete set of clubs as if I started over at golf, this is probably the set that I would buy, as it has everything that you really need and nothing else.
The Highest Quality Complete Set that Is Still Cheap: Callaway Strata Ultimate
If you want a higher quality set of clubs, but don’t want to deal with the hassle of finding a driver, fairway wood, irons, wedges, putter, and a bag separately, then consider a higher end Strata golf club set.
Overall, it is a very high quality set of clubs, and it includes more clubs and headcovers than the Strata set listed above.
The main difference is that it includes a sand wedge, 5 wood, 5 hybrid, and three extra headcovers compared to the other set.
The fact that it includes an extra hyrbid and a sand wedge is a huge plus in my opinion. Hybrids are much easier to hit than long irons, so it is definitely worth the extra money if you have it available to spend on golf clubs.
Compared to other clubs, it is still extremely cheap, coming in at hundreds less than more expensive brands.
Best Cheap Golf Club Set for Kids: Wilson Profile Junior
Kids need golf clubs too, and no company that I am aware of makes individual clubs for kids, so complete sets is the only (and best) way to go.
The best complete set for kids is going to be the Wilson Profile Complete set.
As Wilson always does, they provide a high quality set at a large discount compared to more expensive club sets like US Kids.
This set will be ready for the course as soon as you get it. It includes everything your kid will need to have a great time learning to play golf.
It doesn’t come with many clubs, but that is fine because kids don’t need all of the clubs that adults need. Three irons is plenty for kids, and that’s exactly how many irons this full set comes with
Best Discounted Golf Club Set for Women: Wilson Women’s Ultra
Complete sets are not very different when it comes to men vs women. Any women could use the complete set of clubs that I recommended in the first three section of this article.
However, if you want a set specifically made for women, the best one will be the Wilson Women’s Ultra complete set. It includes 9 clubs total, which is plenty for a newer golfer that is just learning the game.
It doesn’t come with a sandwedge, but that is fine as the pitching wedge will defintiely suffice for the time being.
This set is not much differnet than the mens’s version, but the bag and the clubs are definitely more designed for women when it comes to colors.
Overall, the clubs look very professional and far more expensive than they actually are. The designs kind of remind of Cobra golf clubs, which are 3x more expensive in general.
Quality wise, these clubs will work just fine for beginners. The clubs won’t be as consistent or feel as good as a more expensive set, but beginners won’t be able to notice in the first place.