Women golfers kinda get screwed when it comes to finding the right golf clubs for them. Around 90% of golf clubs sold are men’s, so golf club manufacturers simply don’t put out as many models for women. It sucks, I know.
Women golfers that use men’s clubs typically find that they are too long and too heavy. As a result, women’s clubs are shorter and lighter. Standard women’s clubs are meant for ladies 5’5″ to 5’9″.
Most female golfers that are shorter than 5’5″ find that standard women’s clubs are STILL too long and too heavy. That’s where “petite” clubs come into play.
Most female golfers that are taller than 5’9″ are typically uncomfortable with standard women’s clubs, as they feel as if they have to bend over too much to hit the ball. There’s where “tall” sets come into play. If you find that you are typically whiffing the ball by swinging directly over the ball, then “tall” sets are perfect for you. Or, you might be lifting up too much during your downswing.
Three Things That Effect Which Golf Clubs Tall Women Should Buy
Selecting the right golf clubs for you comes down to three things. Let’s talk about each of them very briefly.
- Your Height. In general, yes, taller women golfers will need longer clubs. However, that’s not always the case. Tall golfers may have a naturally more bent-over posture, which would lead to shorter clubs being a good fit. Shorter golfers may have a very upright posture, which leads to two possible options: 1) fixing the posture by adding more bend or 2) getting longer clubs.
- How Long Your Arms Are. My girlfriend is 5’10”, maybe 5’11”. However, her arms are super long. As a result, she can easily play with a standard set of women’s clubs. Her height and her arm length even out. A women that is 6 feet tall with shorter arms, though, will need longer clubs.
- Your Swing Speed. This is the most important factor. If you have a low to average swing speed, ladies flex shafts will be great. If you have a relatively fast swing speed, then men’s golf clubs with graphite, senior flex shafts will be a great choice. If you are a tall women golfer that has a super fast swing speed (80+mph), then regular flex shafts would be a great option. Again, slow swings should play ladies flex, faster swings should play senior flex, and super fast swings should be regular flex. These words are all relative, so it’s best to compare yourself to other women golfers.
It’s important to note that this article is mostly going to be targeted to tall female golfers that have a moderate to slow swing speed!! If you have a much faster swing speed than your female friends, then check out the first option, which has senior flex graphite shafts (which will be a better fit for you).
I’m going to be talking about three different complete sets in this article. I will break them up based on their price, so that we can accommodate any budget. We’ll talk about the best overall, the best value, and the lowest priced options that I’d recommend to taller women.
Best Clubs for Taller Women with Faster Swing Speeds: Cobra F-Max Airspeed (5’9″ and Taller)
Note: This is talking about the MEN’S SENIOR set, not the women’s.
The Cobra F-Max Airspeed Senior set is targeted to senior men. It’s got graphite shafts with senior flex.
However, this set is PERFECT for tall women golfers with faster swing speeds. Because most women don’t know how fast they actually swing their driver, I’ve found it best to compare yourself to other women. If you are hitting the ball far further than other female golfers, then you probably have a fast swing speed.
Lightweight: Cobra has been cutting the weight of their clubs for 3 years in a row. Their last line of clubs, the F-Max Superlite, was the first driver under 300 grams. The new F-Max Airspeed driver goes one step further at just 285 grams.
Extra Inch: Most women’s clubs are 1 inch shorter than men’s clubs. Therefore, men’s clubs are great for tall women golfers, as long as they can work with the stiffer flex shaft. The senior flex shaft of the Airspeed clubs is more stiff than a ladies flex shaft. If you swing faster than most women, though, it will be a great fit!
This set is far more expensive than the other two options that I’ll discuss in this article. However, if you plan on playing lots of golf in the future, it will be worth the price. This should be the last golf club set that you ever buy. Plus, it will perform better and last longer than the 2 cheaper sets.
The Cobra F-Max Airspeed set is perfect because it combines a light weight design, a senior flex graphite shaft, great distance, and an extra inch of clubs (compared to standard women’s clubs) due to it being made for men.
- Pros: Far higher quality than the other two sets. Will result in longer, more forgiving shots that feel better at impact. Better brand than Wilson and Precise. Has everything you’ll ever need, including multiple hybrids, multiple fairway woods, and a sand wedge.
- Cons: Far higher price than the other two.
- Best For: Tall women that swing fast & want the highest quality clubs on the market.
Best Value: Wilson Profile SGI Women’s Tall Set (5’9″ to 6’3″ in Height)
The Wilson Profile line of golf clubs is one of the most popular models of complete sets ever sold, especially for taller women.
Wilson broke down their Profile SGI clubs into three different options: short, standard, and TALL. The tall clubs are roughly an inch longer than the standard clubs. That doesn’t sound like a lot, but I promise that is plenty to make a very noticeable difference when you are standing over the golf ball.
The Wilson Profile SGI Women’s Tall (also known as Long) set is recommended for those that are 5’9″ to 6’3″ in height. The great thing about the tall option is that, even if you eventually find out that you should have gone with the standard option, you can always “choke down” on the grip a little to make up for it. It’s always better to have clubs that are a little too long than clubs that are a little too short.
The Wilson Profile SGI Tall set is far less expensive than the other two models that we talk about in this article. Unfortunately, the quality is a little lower as well. Distance, forgiveness, and feel are all just a little less than stellar. Reviews talk about broken club heads more with the Wilson set than with other more expensive sets, too. However, for beginners that are completely new to the game, this is a great entry into the sport without spending too much.
- Pros: Has everything you need, including a sand wedge (not always included). Higher quality than off-brand sets. Super affordable price.
- Cons: Only have 1 fairway wood and 1 hybrid. Heads may break off quicker than other sets. Lower performance than more expensive clubs.
- Best For: Tall woman golfers that are new to the game and don’t want to shell out more than $400.
Lowest Priced: Precise M5 Tall Ladies Golf Club Set (5’8″ to 6’1″ in Height)
Listen: I don’t normally suggest brands like Precise. They aren’t tried and true yet, but the reviews simply speak for themselves, so I’m confident in recommending this set.
The Precise M5 tall women’s set is meant for golfers 5’8″ to 6’1″, but I’m sure that female golfers that are CLOSE to this height range will be fine too. Obviously this depends on your height and posture, though. This set has clubs that are exactly 1 inch longer than standard women’s golf clubs.
This set is a little bit lower in price than the Wilson Profile SGI Tall set, but I don’t think the price difference is worth getting away from a trusted brand like Wilson. That’s just my personal opinion.
I guess I really just don’t like the look of these clubs, to be honest. They look too gimmicky for my liking.
- Pros: Lowest priced of the two. Great reviews on Amazon, including their customer service when something goes wrong.
- Cons: Only has 1 fairway wood and 1 hybrid. Doesn’t include a sand wedge. Brand is not super well known. Lowest quality of the three options. Gimmicky looking design with all of the pink.
- Best For: Taller female golfers that want a save a few bucks, even if it means slightly lower quality clubs. Also, best for taller ladies that just really, really love the color pink.